Wednesday, November 19, 2014

The Importance of a Sabbath

I'm in Adelaide now, oh yeah, I forgot to mention that to you before.

I spent 44 days in Caboolture picking strawberries, and then they said I could fly out with the big boss the next day to work on the farm down in Adelaide, so I took them up on the offer, and here I've been for the last 36 days. Only 8 left and I will have completed my 88, and will have another year in the land down under!

I've learned heaps working in the strawberry fields. I've grown to appreciate where my fruit and veggies come from, and all the hard work that goes into it.  I've learned how to bring joy to people using my gifts, and make a crappy job a bit more fun.  In case you wonder what goes into strawberries, here's just a little sliver of it.... I filmed this in Caboolture, slightly behind my boss's back...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEkhQQL84iw

God has been moving here in Adelaide. One day we were throwing out strawberries that would be perfect to eat that day, but would be too bruised in a few days when they reach store shelves. It made me sad - because to many people, fruit is a delicacy! I was thinking of how I could make a change.  So later, I went online and looked for ministries I thought could use strawberries. I found a homeless ministry, and gave the number a call. "Hi, this may be strange but I work with Sunray Strawberries and we throw out many strawberries, so I was wondering if you could use some...." Turns out the lady on the phone is super busy juggling feeding the homeless, a kid, work, volunteer, and making 3000 jars of jam a year for the homeless in which she has to fundraise for fruit! This was an answer to prayer for her!  So I spoke with my boss, and we've been able to donate as many strawberries as she wants, whenever she wants. Praise God!

I've learned the massive importance of taking a day off a week. There is such a good reason God gave us this command - not to be all religious and say we're evil if we don't follow it necessarily - but oh my goodness, we NEED rest!  Being in a physically intensive job where I work 40-80 hours per week, and being exhausted all the time, I've learned just how important sleep and a day off is. A day to realize there is still so much more to life than work (and strawberries.) A day to heal. And you know what, it makes my work so much more efficient the rest of the week! When I work 2 weeks in a row, I am dead exhausted and slow by the end.  But having that day off, is a perfect kick off to work hard through the week! Oh my goodness God is wise, He made us after all and knows whats best for us way better than we do ourselves. ;)

My eyes continue to be opened, lessons learned, and new ideas formed with how to live life. Learning to think outside the box in which I, and many American children, grew up in and were taught. Look at the world, and all the billions of people who live completely differently from you, you can do it too. Check your pulse. Are you still breathing? Congratulations. You've got very much to be thankful for. You've got a life to live and dreams to make happen. What are you afraid of?  Whats the worst thing that can happen from you taking a leap of faith? Getting laughed at? Rejected? Who cares, there are so many other people who'd love to be your friend, if your open to it.  What else are you afraid of? Being kidnapped if you travel? Well, learn about your location first. The world is the world, people are people, your hometown may have just as many thieves, murderers, and kidnappers as other parts of the world you'd travel to. You don't typically go down dark back alleys in your hometown, do you? Why do it over seas? Be smart. You'll be amazed at how you'll learn, change, cope, and figure things out.  And, when you've got God on your side as well when you believe and accept Christ, who can stop you?

Or you can keep sitting on your butt. Your choice. My choice. Life choices. We live in an age of possibility, and there's no more exciting time to be alive. So embrace it, and discover and create new ways to live and inspire.

Food for my thought. Just not strawberries please.

Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment